- Start with your original goal.
- Pick one part that you could reasonably complete in a week.
- Divide the goal into 5 equal portions.
- Create a satisfying to-do list for each day that includes one of those 5 portions. [Five is for five days of the week you should will complete a part of the bigger task, and then 2 relax-off days.]
- Depending on you and the goal, commit 30-120 minutes to your goal. Whether that be in 30 minute units, or all in one chunk.
- Pick a strong start-day, like a Monday, and DO IT.
They say everyone is starting a blog these days, and I tend to disagree. I’d say, ‘anyone ready to go public’ is starting a blog these days. [To clarify further, ‘Anyone who has internet access, is literate, and has no problem with floundering for the amusement of others’ is starting a blog these days.]
However, here I am pouring myself into the mold and then hoping I will solidify into something so differently formed and sturdy the mold will have to be reformed in my image. A bit of a creator’s complex if you will.
Therefore, today’s how-to on this first day of June is, “How to Start a Blog.”
- Buy a domain name that you find clever and is still available. Having a suitable domain name for your personal “brand” can be very motivating. It is relatively cheap and easy to claim: so I recommend buying any you might foresee liking in the future. I use Dreamhost because their customer service is great and my hosted space grows every year.
- Pick a theme that matches your domain and that you feel passionate about. As a tech writer, How-Tos are my forte, and thus an instructional on life idea was a ringer. What do you know more than anyone else? Write about that.
- Install a Blog app or program your own. This is actually much easier than it sounds. If you go into it knowing that there are forums all over the internet covering the exact same question you have, you can do anything!
- Pick a staring date and STICK to it. This will be a running theme throughout my blog, as I seem to put everything off until a.) the beginning of a week, b.) the beginning of a month, or c.) sometime in the future when I think I will be more prepared.
- Make it happen! Blogs are completely edit-able by you, the author. If you don’t tell anyone about it, no one you know will find it and thus what you say could be completely anonymous. Just starting when you say you will creates some momentum…
Doesn’t it? I plan to find out and that is why I am making this post on June 1st. I chose this date because it is the beginning of June (Reinvention month) and I am proud to see I have stuck to it.
Well, what are you waiting for? Get to it!